Europe and AmericaInternational

America’s reaction to the imprisonment of 34 Shia women activists in Saudi Arabia



Ned Price, the spokesman of the US Department of State, announced on Wednesday local time that Washington is investigating the case of “Salami al-Shahab”, a Shia women’s rights activist, who was sentenced to 34 years in prison in Saudi Arabia.

The spokesperson of the US State Department told reporters: Freedom of speech in defense of women’s rights should not be considered a crime.

According to IRNA’s report on Monday, citing Arabi 21, the legal organization known as “Mubadara al-Huriya” (Freedom Initiative), which is headquartered in Washington, disclosed; A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced “Salmi al-Shahab”, a human rights activist, to 34 years in prison.

According to the report of this organization, Salmi al-Shahab was arrested during his trip to Saudi Arabia last year. This organization also announced that this Saudi female activist was studying at the University of Leeds and is a resident of England.

Al-Shahab, who has two daughters, had published tweets in support of the Palestinian issue and women’s rights in Saudi Arabia before being arrested by Al Saud. He also called several times for the release of political prisoners in Saudi Arabia.

The government of Saudi Arabia, especially after the crown prince of this country, Mohammed bin Salman, took severe measures against writers and civil activists and killed dozens of clerics, princes, writers, poets and civil and religious activists under the pretext of acting against the security of this country. He has arrested and sentenced some of them to prison and execution.

The spokesperson of the US Foreign Ministry also repeated the allegations about an American journalist and asked the Syrian government to cooperate with Washington for the release of this journalist.

Price asked the Syrian government to act for the release of Austin Tice, an American journalist, who Damascus has denied any involvement in his detention.

The spokesperson of the US State Department had previously said that the US government has pressured Syria to release all Americans.

In the case of Tice, he said, the Biden administration specifically communicated with Syrian officials directly as well as through third parties.

The spokesperson of the US State Department claimed: Syria has never admitted to his arrest. We will pursue all avenues to ensure Austin’s safe return.

US President Joe Biden had previously claimed that Washington is fully confident that this American journalist was arrested by Damascus.

Tice is said to have disappeared on August 12, 2012 while covering clashes in Damascus Rif. After that, on September 26 of the same year, he was seen in a video that was arrested by an unknown armed group.

So far, no group has taken responsibility for the arrest of this person, who is said to have worked as a freelance reporter for the Washington Post, CBC News, Al Jazeera English, and AFP.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button