Ciprofloxacin tablets are a strong antibiotic of the quinolone class used to treat bacterial infections in the human body. This drug is used to treat various types of bacterial infections such as urinary tract inflammation, lung inflammation, skin and soft structure inflammation, ear, throat, tooth, bone and joint infections. Because of its ability to kill bacteria, Ciprofloxacin is also prescribed to treat infections such as chest infections, urinary tract infections, prostate infections, gastrointestinal tract infections, bone and joint infections.
The ointment type of this drug is used as an ointment and eye drops to treat eye infections such as inflammation of the eye glands or inflammation of the eyelids. Also, ciprofloxacin is used to treat infections that have not been treated with other antibiotic drugs due to bacterial resistance. However, it is better to know it completely before taking any kind of medicine.
Pharmaceutical forms of ciprofloxacin
- Ciprofloxacin tablets: 250, 500 and 750 mg
- Ciprofloxacin ampoule: 5% and 10% in 100 ml
- Ciprofloxacin drops: eye drops and ear drops
Ciprofloxacin is used in the following cases:
- Treatment of various bacterial infections such as: urinary tract inflammation, lung inflammation, skin inflammation, ear, throat, tooth, bone and joint infections.
- And the treatment of chest infections, urinary tract infections, prostate infections, gastrointestinal tract infections, bone and joint infections
Pharmacological effects and mechanism of action of ciprofloxacin tablets
After penetrating the bacterial cell membrane, this drug inhibits the growth and reproduction of bacteria by inhibiting DNA gyrase. After taking this drug, when the DNA is opened for replication, it lacks the necessary enzyme to turn again and thus it will be eradicated.
Dosage of ciprofloxacin tablets
Adults can use ciprofloxacin tablets as follows:
- 100 to 750 mg every 12 hours for 3 to 28 days
When to take ciprofloxacin
Ciprofloxacin medicine or tablet should be taken every day at a certain time or hour. Since doctors often recommend this drug to be used in a dose of 500 twice a day, it is better to use it every 12 hours. So it is better to use one pill in the morning and another at night. It does not matter if you take this medicine with or without food. Ask your doctor’s opinion in this regard. Doctor’s advice is always a priority.
This medicine should not be used in the following cases:
- People under 18 years of age (unless advised by a doctor)
- Kidney patients
- Favism patients
- In case of allergy to this drug or similar drugs such as: levofloxacin, moxifloxacin and nalidixic acid, ofloxacin and norfloxacin
Side effects of ciprofloxacin
All drugs may have side effects, and ciprofloxacin tablets are no exception. Some of the side effects that some people may experience after taking ciprofloxacin tablets include:
- Feeling sick: In this case, you can eat simple foods to feel better.
- Diarrhea: In case of diarrhea, it is better to drink plenty of fluids to replace the water lost from your body.
Also, in some rare cases, ciprofloxacin tablets may cause the following serious side effects. For this reason, if you experience the following side effects, you should inform your doctor.
– Allergic reactions, such as swelling around the face and mouth, skin rashes or breathing problems
– Pain or swelling in joints and bones
– Psychosis about self-harm
Also, it should be remembered that an overdose of ciprofloxacin tablets can cause drug poisoning. If a person has suffered from drug poisoning and you see symptoms such as shortness of breath, fainting, and weakness (passing out), call the emergency room immediately so that the treatment team can neutralize the side effects of the drug.
Drug interactions of ciprofloxacin tablets
You must provide your doctor with a list of all the medications you are taking before you start taking ciprofloxacin tablets. Ciprofloxacin may interact with some medications, including the following:
- Cyclosporine, probenecid, ropinirole, sildenafil
- Theophylline or aminophylline
- Warfarin and coumarin and all blood thinners
- you are fast
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin and azithromycin
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib, diclofenac, indomethacin, and meloxicam.
- Steroid drugs such as prednisolone
- Diuretic drugs
- Medicines for the treatment of diabetes
- Supplements or multivitamins containing iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc
- Iron supplements such as ferrous sulfate or ferrous fumarate
You should leave a gap of at least 2 hours between taking ciprofloxacin tablets and vitamin supplements. This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with Ciprofloxacin.
- If you have forgotten to take your daily dose at a certain time, it is better to take it as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, it is better not to take the missed dose. In no case should you take two doses of the medicine at the same time due to forgetting.
- Improper use of antibiotics for colds caused by viruses can cause antibiotic resistance and side effects. Therefore, antibiotics are prescribed only if a secondary bacterial infection is confirmed. Over-the-counter medications, such as antihistamines, pain relievers, and decongestants, are usually safer for treating viral colds.
- If you are allergic to this medicine, consult your doctor.
- If you have the following problems in your medical records, discuss them with your doctor: heart problems, diabetes, kidney and liver diseases, joint and tendon problems, mental disorders, peripheral neuropathy, and seizures.
Taking ciprofloxacin tablets during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Sufficient studies on whether ciprofloxacin tablets can harm the fetus inside the mother’s womb or not; Does not exist. Therefore, during this period, you are allowed to take this medicine only with the doctor’s prescription. Also, ciprofloxacin may be transferred to the baby through breast milk and cause side effects. It should not be used during breastfeeding until 2 days after the last dose of this medicine.
What is ciprofloxacin 500 tablets for?
Ciprofloxacin 500 tablets belongs to the quinolone drug group and by inhibiting the proliferation of bacteria, it causes the treatment of bacterial infections and reduces the symptoms of the disease. This pill is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat various bacterial infections.
- – Urinary tract infections such as cystitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, etc.
- – Respiratory infections such as lung infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.
- – Skin infections such as bacterial infections of the skin and subcutaneous tissue
- Bone and joint infections
- Ear, tooth and throat infections
- – Gastrointestinal tract infections such as gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, genital and urinary tract infections, etc.
There are some examples of these diseases.
How to take Ciprofloxacin 500
Before starting to use this medicine, read the leaflet inside the package carefully. This brochure is detailed and comprehensive and introduces you to various things including the amount and dosage of the drug and its possible side effects. It is better to follow the dosage of the medicine exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Usually, the dose of this drug is taken every 12 hours and the duration of treatment with this antibiotic varies between 3-28 days. Also, the dose of this medicine for children is prescribed based on their weight and in the form of syrup.
If you want to increase the effectiveness of this antibiotic, you should take the dose of the drug at the prescribed time and swallow it with a lot of water. Also, while taking ciprofloxacin 500, it is better to avoid eating milk, medicine or antacid syrup, or drugs containing zinc and iron, because these interfere with the absorption of ciprofloxacin.
The way to take Ciprofloxacin 500 is that it should be taken twice a day in the morning and at night, with a glass of water, to create the appropriate blood concentration in the body. Also, ciprofloxacin 250 is prescribed for people whose weight is less than 50 kg and whose age is over 17 years.
Is ciprofloxacin good for throat infection?
Studies have shown that ciprofloxacin tablets are effective in treating throat infections caused by bacteria. In a study conducted in 2015, the effectiveness of ciprofloxacin compared to amoxicillin for the treatment of throat infections was investigated. The results showed that ciprofloxacin was more effective than amoxicillin with a higher effect in controlling the symptoms of throat infection such as inflammation and pain.
For this reason, if your throat infection is caused by bacteria, you can use ciprofloxacin tablets to treat it. However, it should be noted that the use of any type of medicine must be prescribed by a doctor and self-administration of medicines may be harmful to your health.
ciprofloxacin tablets for urinary tract infections
Ciprofloxacin tablets are a powerful antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class that is used to treat bacterial infections. This drug is recommended as a first choice for the treatment of urinary tract infection in many cases. Ciprofloxacin tablets work by reducing the growth and reproduction of bacteria in the body and help control the symptoms of a UTI, such as pain, burning, and fever. In a study conducted in 2015, the effectiveness of ciprofloxacin compared to other drugs for the treatment of urinary tract infections was investigated.
The results showed that ciprofloxacin had a higher effect in controlling urinary infection symptoms such as inflammation and pain, more performance than other drugs. For this reason, if you have symptoms of a urinary tract infection, you can use ciprofloxacin tablets to treat it. However, improper use and without a doctor’s opinion can lead to dangerous side effects.
Ciprofloxacin for colds
Ciprofloxacin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that can kill bacteria and viruses that cause colds and reduce inflammation. This will quickly relieve the symptoms of cough, nasal congestion and other symptoms. Antibiotics are therefore only prescribed for secondary bacterial infections, not viral colds.
Antibiotics only have the ability to act on bacteria and cannot be effective against viruses that cause colds. However, ciprofloxacin can indirectly help relieve symptoms of nasal congestion, sore throat, and fever by reducing secondary bacterial infections that sometimes occur after a viral cold. But overuse of antibiotics for viral colds causes side effects and bacterial resistance to ciprofloxacin, which reduces its ability to fight serious infections in the future.
- Attention: Improper use of antibiotics for viral colds can cause antibiotic resistance and side effects. Therefore, antibiotics are prescribed only if a secondary bacterial infection is confirmed. Over-the-counter medications, such as antihistamines, pain relievers, and decongestants, are usually safer for treating viral colds.
Simultaneous use of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole
The simultaneous use of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole for some patients may be associated with serious risks. That is why it is recommended to consult your doctor whenever you use these two drugs at the same time.
For patients with heart diseases, especially congenital long QT syndrome and cardiac conduction abnormalities, taking these two drugs at the same time can be dangerous. Also, loss of magnesium and potassium due to severe diarrhea or vomiting may also pose serious risks.
If you experience any sudden symptoms such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath or palpitations, see a doctor immediately. Never change your medications without consulting your doctor. If you are using any other medicine, be sure to inform your doctor.
Green positive online pharmacy
Positive Green Pharmacy is one of the online pharmaceutical stores in Iran, which provides people with the opportunity to buy the medicines they need online. As an online pharmacy, this store tries to put all kinds of medicines needed for the health of your loved ones online on its site and in this way help people save more than buying medicine in traditional pharmacies.
By having all kinds of medicines and other health and care products, this site tries to increase the general information of your loved ones through the articles it publishes on its site. If you need advice, you can contact our colleagues through communication channels or by phone.
Summary of the topic
Regarding ciprofloxacin tablets, it should be said that this drug is used as an antibiotic to treat bacterial infections such as urinary, respiratory, ear, throat and nose infections, etc. This medicine can be bought with a medical prescription and if you want to buy online, you can visit the website of the online pharmacy of Positive Green and buy all kinds of medicines you need online. Of course, it should be noted that the purchase of medicine should be done in consultation with your doctor and it is recommended that you consult your doctor before buying and taking any medicine.
Frequently asked questions about ciprofloxacin
What is ciprofloxacin for?
Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic that helps treat bacterial infections. Such as urinary tract infections, chest infections and skin and bone infections.
Source: website medscape
Please rate this article
[مجموع: ۲ میانگین: ۵]